Update your contact information with the Medi-Cal office. Make sure they have your correct address, phone number, and email.
Look for the yellow envelope with your renewal packet.
Complete your Medi-Cal renewal form and submit right away.
Medi-Cal will never ask you for financial information, nor require payment in the application or renewal process.
Please make a note of the following documents, as they may be required during the renewal process:
- Renewal Packet (Yellow Envelope)
- Proof of California Residency (Driver's License, California ID Card, or current letter mailed to your address)
- Resident Alien Registration Cards or other residency documents (if not a U.S. citizen)
- If naturalized: Citizen Certificate of Naturalization or U.S. passport
- Paycheck Stubs (current or prior months) or income tax return
For more extensive list of the documents that may be accepted, please view the following guidance.
List of Accepted Documents
Medi-Cal Renewal Information and FAQs
Medi-Cal is resuming annual renewal (redeterminations).
- Coverage is no longer provided automatically due to the end of the COVID-19 public health emergency.
- Renewal deadlines vary, based on when you first received coverage.
- A review of Medi-Cal member’s information every 12 months.
- Determines continued eligibility for Medi-Cal benefits.
- Annual renewal month is typically 12 months after approval date.
- So for example, if you received coverage in June of 2022, you will need to renew by the end of June 2023.
- A renewal packet will be sent 60 days before it is due.
- Those whose renewal is due at the end of June 2023 will be receiving their packets throughout April 2023. If your renewal is due in July, you will receive your packet in May.
- 60 days to provide requested information to your local department of Social Services (DPSS for LA County and OCSSA for Orange County).
- Benefits are discontinued if no application was received by the renewal date stated in your renewal packet.
- We strongly suggest you update your contact information online at Benefitscal.com.
- You can also update by:
- Mail: Return the application in the envelop received.
- Call your local county office – Los Angeles County (866) 613-3777. In Orange County (800) 281-9799
- In-Person: Visit your local Medi-Cal office
- It may take 24–48 hours for your renewal to show up on your dashboard after having linked your Medi-Cal case to your BenefitsCal account.
- If you have not received any correspondence in the mail about your Medi-Cal benefits, update your contact information.
You can do the following:
- Create Online account (Fastest and easiest way) at benefitscal.com and complete online form.
- By mail: Return your completed packet with all necessary documentation.
- In-Person: Visit your local Medi-Cal office or through an appointment with an AltaMed Patient Care Coordinator at clinic.
- Call your local county office: Los Angeles County (866) 613-3777 & in Orange County (800) 281-9799
- Changes can be reported in the Medi-Cal Renewal Form. You will have the opportunity to report if you had a change in income, pregnancy, new household member, and other areas that are considered for continued eligibility.
- Changes can also be reported to the local county office – Los Angeles County at (866) 613-3777 and Orange County at (800) 281-9799.
- Your local county will send you a letter to let you know if you still qualify for Medi-Cal coverage.
- If additional information is needed to renew your coverage, the county will send you a letter requesting any missing information.
- It is important that you stay up to date with notifications from the county (either by mail or online) to provide any requested information until receiving confirmation of your coverage status.
- AltaMed teams are ready to assist, you can make an appointment with a Patient Care Coordinator to renew your Medi-Cal.
- Bilingual staff and agencies across Los Angeles and Orange Counties can also provide Medi-Cal renewal assistance. View a list of available agencies.
- AltaMed has also scheduled workshops to assist you in filling out your Medi-Cal renewal packet. For more information, visit bit.ly/renewwithAltaMedWorkshop to sign up for a workshop.
- You can also visit the KeepMediCalCoverage.com website for more information and sign up for text or email updates on Medi-Cal renewals.
Tuesday, January 16, 2024
Thursday, January 25, 2024
Thursday, February 22, 2024
Thursday, March 21, 2024
You can visit the following links for additional help and information specific for your county and health plan. The Los Angeles County Department of Public Social Services also has a BenefitsCal Guide, which has written instructions on the Medi-Cal renewal process.