As we settle into our New Year Resolutions, many of us are focusing on being proactive with our health by eating better, exercising more and becoming better versions of ourselves. While we focus on these key areas, let’s not forget to make sure we have a heart-healthy month.
Heart disease is the leading cause of death for men and women in the United States, but it also one of the most preventable. Making heart-healthy choices, knowing family health history and having regular check-ups with your provider are important ways to be proactive.
To honor Heart Health Month this February, make a difference in your home by creating this hearty recipe, provided by the American Heart Association.
Turkey and Bean Tostada with Avocado-Tomato Salsa
- 2 cups chopped tomatoes (about two medium tomatoes)
- 1 medium avocado (halved, pitted, diced)
- 1 cup frozen whole-kernel corn (thawed and drained)
- 1-2 medium fresh jalapeno peppers (seeds and ribs discarded, finely chopped)
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped red onion
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- Cooking spray
- Five 6-inch corn tortillas
- 8 ounces ground, skinless turkey breast
- One 15.5-ounce can no-salt added black beans (rinsed and drained)
- 2 tablespoons water
- In a small bowl, stir together all the salsa ingredients. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 400ºF. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and lightly spray with cooking spray.
- Place the tortillas on the baking sheet. Lightly spray the tortillas with cooking spray. Using a fork, pierce the tortillas a few times to prevent them from filling with air. Bake for 5 to 6 minutes on each side, or until golden brown.
- Meanwhile, in a medium nonstick saucepan, cook the turkey over medium-high heat for 3 to 4 minutes, or until no longer pink, stirring occasionally to turn and break up the turkey. Transfer turkey to a plate.
- In a large nonstick pan, cook the beans and water over medium-high heat for 5 minutes, or until heated through. Using a potato masher, coarsely mash the beans until they’re the consistency of refried beans. Remove from heat. Stir in the ground turkey.
- To make the tostadas, spread the bean and turkey mixture over each tortilla. Spoon the salsa over all.