Fun fact—Americans consume approximately 150 million hot dogs on the Fourth of July! Here at AltaMed, we understand the importance of tradition, and hot dogs are about as all-American as it gets.
It can also be fun, however, to declare a little of your own independence from what’s tried and true, and celebrate our United States of America with these yummy alternative Fourth of July snacks.
- Wave Your Watermelon Pizza: Yup, you heard us right. Spread a one-inch thick watermelon slice with a layer of Greek yogurt, then add cut strawberries and whole blueberries as toppings. Make it sparkle by finishing it off with a drizzle of honey and torn mint leaves, and serve by slicing as you would a pizza.
- Deviled Red, White and Blue Eggs: Cut six hard-boiled eggs in half and mash the yolks with ¼ cup Greek yogurt, two teaspoons brown mustard, and salt and pepper to taste. Add blue food coloring until desired shade is reached. Fill the egg whites with the yolk mixture and generously sprinkle with paprika.
- Salute the Flag Toast: Top your favorite bread with a layer of peanut butter and/or cream cheese. Then, using whole blueberries as the stars and sliced strawberries and bananas as the stripes, create your own American flag. Guaranteed to make anyone you serve smile.
- Let Freedom Ring Rice Krispies Treats: In a large saucepan, melt three tablespoons of butter with four cups of marshmallows. Divide into three heat-safe bowls and separately add blue and red food coloring to tow of these bowls before adding two cups of Rice Krispies cereal to each mixture. Starting with the blue mixture, press into a 9x9 pan, then press in the mixture with no food coloring, and finish with the red.
- Veggie Party in the USA: Dye your family’s favorite vegetable dip blue, whether it’s hummus or a sour cream/Greek yogurt combo, and transfer into a square dish. Place dish in the upper left-hand corner of a flat tray, then arrange sliced cucumbers, cauliflower, radishes and red bell peppers into alternating stripes of red and white.