There’s something inspiring about the start of a new year, which is why we feel compelled to make fresh-faced resolutions for the next 365 days to come. From exercise goals to financial agendas to travel dreams, the challenge lies not in setting promising intentions, but in keeping them.
Here are some easy guidelines to help set and stick with your positive goals for 2018.
- Be Realistic: Start small, not only with the resolution itself, but with the number you make. Instead of vowing to hit the gym every day, aim to get physical two to three times a week.
- Be Thoughtful: Change comes from within, so make your resolutions for you, not for someone else.
- Be Specific: Focus on what behavioral changes you’ll need to make to reach your goal, then make a plan and write it down. For instance, if you want take a big summer trip, think about some easy steps you can take to save money, like bringing your lunch to work instead of eating out.
- Be Inclusive: Talk to your family and friends about your intentions, and with their support, your chances of success are all the greater. And who knows? Maybe they’ll be inspired to join in the effort, and as we’ve all heard: team work makes the dream work.
- Be Kind: The path from A to B is not going to be a straight line. You may stumble along the way, but don’t quit while you’re ahead! Celebrate your milestones along the way, both good and bad. It’s all part of the process.
AltaMed wishes you a happy and successful year to come!