Helping our patients grow healthy is our number one concern. That’s why we’re excited to partner with an important research program, All of Us, which is working to find new ways to help treat and prevent different health issues.
In the coming months, an AltaMed team member may ask you to participate or you may volunteer on your own. Keep reading to learn how easy it is for you to make a difference.
What is the All of Us Research Program?
The All of Us Research Program’s goal is to help researchers understand more about why people get sick or stay healthy. People who join share information about their health, habits, and what it’s like where they live. By looking for patterns, researchers may learn more about what affects people’s health.
Why should I participate?
It is important to make sure your community is represented. Your contribution may improve the future health of your friends and family. Here are some examples of what researchers might be able to discover:
- Better tests to see if people are sick or are at risk of getting sick.
- Better mobile apps to encourage healthy habits.
- Better medicine or information about how much medicine is right for each person.
What will you ask me to do?
If you decide to join the All of Us Research Program, you will be asked to share basic information like your name and where you live, and questions about your health, family, home, and work. If you have an electronic health record—a digital medical record that shows your health history—researchers may ask to view it. You may also be invited to have your physical measurements taken (height, weight, blood pressure, etc.) and to provide blood and urine samples.
The All of Us Research Program is expected to last at least 10 years, but you can withdraw at any time for any reason.
What will you do to protect my privacy?
Protecting your information is a top priority. Here are a few of the safety measures in place:
- Information about you will be stored on protected computers. Who sees the information is limited and tracked.
- Your name and other identifying information (like your Social Security number, if you choose to provide one) are removed and replaced with a code.
- Researchers are not allowed to try to find out who you are.
- You will be informed of any risk to your privacy in case of a data breach.
- The All of Us Research Program has Certificates of Confidentiality from the U.S. government.
This means they can fight legal demands (such as a court order) to give out information that could identify you.
How do I join?
There are two ways to join:
- Visit the All of Us website
- Download the All of Us app
During the sign-up process, you will have the chance to review what is involved, and the risks and benefits of participating in the research.
Healthy Community, Healthy You
We want to improve the health of our communities. While some appointments have been postponed or are being completed over the phone to prevent the spread of COVID-19, All of Us is still continuing this important research. If you have more questions about the program, email Everen Arat or call (323) 914-9763.
AltaMed can provide information to you and your family about the best way to protect yourself and your family from COVID-19. To receive the latest news and information about the coronavirus pandemic, sign up today.