As summer break comes to an end, it is time to prepare your child for a new school year! Research shows a child’s health is linked to their academic achievement.
At AltaMed, we are ready to help you every step of the way. Here are a few tips on how to keep your children healthy this school year:
Before the school year starts
- Make sure your child’s immunizations are up to date. A moment of discomfort can protect your child from serious illness.
- A trip to the dentist will help your child start the school year with good dental hygiene.
- Help your child see their way to the top of the class with a visit to their eye doctor.
- Notify the school about allergies, medical conditions and any medications your child may need.
Master the morning routine
- Pack school materials the night before so their backpack is ready to grab and go.
- A healthy breakfast will give children the nutrition and energy they need throughout the school day.
- Leave the house early to avoid rushing. A smooth morning sets the tone for the rest of the school day!
Keep a tight night schedule
- Set a sleep schedule in order for your child to be well-rested.
- Cut back on screen time and foods high in sugar at least two hours before bedtime.
- Prepare an outfit the night before to save time and hassle in the morning.
- Children can wind down by reading, taking a soothing bath, or engaging in quiet activities.
Mental well-being and the classroom
- Tour the new campus or classroom to prevent first day jitters.
- Communicate with their teacher bimonthly to check in on your child’s progress and needs.
- Talk to your child about being a good student and friend to avoid poor study habits and bullying.
- Develop your child’s strengths, interests, and talents so they can be confident.